The Connection Between Pregnancy & Oral Health
It’s not a big surprise that hormone levels change for pregnant women, but did you know they can cause swelling, bleeding gums and other complications in the gum area?
So why is it important for pregnant women to take such good care of their teeth? Because besides hormone fluctuations, periodontal disease can cause low birth weight as well as pre-term delivery.
The key to preventing those pregnancy complications is to take great care of your teeth:
- Brushing and flossing correctly
- Replacing your toothbrush every 4 months
- No smoking or other unhealthy habits like drinking
- If you need dental work, get treatments done immediately
- Visit your dentist for professional cleaning
- Have a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
- Inform your dentist of any pre-natal vitamins or medication
We Can Help
Dr. Gatgens, a member of the American Dental Association, is a University of Tennessee School of Dentistry graduate, with a life-long passion for dentistry. He’s well-versed in cosmetic dentistry, periodontal dentistry as well as treating pregnant women or those wanting to conceive.
Here’s an overview of our dental services:
- Porcelain crowns and bridges
- Dental implants and dental extractions
- Periodontal treatment
- Dentures and laser dentistry
The Accent Smile Center can offer thorough dental cleaning and pre-pregnancy tests to make sure your dental health is perfect for pregnancy.
We offer nearly every service under the dentistry umbrella, so you can take care of any untreated dental ailments. Visit us in Dickson, TN for your dental consultation.